Wednesday 20 November 2013

Documentary Entry 6


So today I had my first practice session with a camera. One word comes to mind to define it: wreck.

As it turns out not working with a device you actually have zero interest in working with means you tend to forget everything about it. I'll admit I still remember how to do certain things but I don't remember why you do them (though chances are I never learned in the first place).

I get that the rule of thirds exist but I'll be damned if I have a clue why it exists. Yes I understand that it forces a viewer to focus and find that a spot not in the middle but the fact that I had to look up why shows and says a lot.

I get that you don't have your character in the centre of a shot cause it looks really weird but that's about all I get. I follow the rules but I don't really understand them.

To make matters worse after hearing absolutely nothing for a week (to the point the group had declared the chance of interviewing the subject stone dead) we finally get an update saying that it's okay.

Two things disturb me about this: The first is the short notice and the second is the fact that I'm not ready for this. I can't relearn 3 years of work in a day/possibly 2 days.
In summation I need more time.

I need more time to practice and relearn what I've forgotten going over notes is fine and all but actual practice is needed and the idea that I can learn what I need in a day or two is laughable at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment