Wednesday 11 December 2013

Documentary Entry 9


An alternative title for this entry could be: The Embodiment of Fear: Anya Patton. In the space of 4 hours productivity skyrocketed. Shot list have been drawn up and so have storyboards (something I haven't done in at least two years at this point).
We've made a lot of progress in the last few days and I personally feel more confident about my role in this project as a whole. Most of this confidence was originally fear reshaped. Fear of our producer Anya.

With a better grasp on what was expected of me and I had to admit I was ready for it now more than ever. And I also have a better understanding of the theme of the documentary and am actually proud of a point I raised (Anya will back me up on me saying this):

"As eyes are the windows of the soul, hands are akin to the tools of the soul as we can learn nearly everything about a person from their hands. Their gender, their hygiene, how hard they work etc."

I'm actually reminded of a scene from one of my favourite movies Drive. When the main protagonist the Driver meets the mob boss paying for his racing business he decides against shaking the boss's hand saying his hands are dirty (literally he was wiping oil from a car of his hands) the mob boss replies with:"don't worry. So are mine" it's a good line to show the implications of the mob boss's work as there is a lot of metaphorical blood on his hands.

I found myself pleasantly surprised that I get to keep my philosophical style going in this blog. Most of they is due to my own keen interest in that area of media but also thanks to our producer Anya who has found the perfect motivational balance between friendship and absolute terror.

I'll actually tell a fun story relevant to the documentary. Anya asked me a few days in advance to meet up in Belfast on Saturday to discuss my role and what I need done. I was in work and I was already tired when I heard on the news there was trouble in town. I pondered cancelling when a question hit me in the head: What am I more afraid of, An angry Anya or a group of rioters? For those of you with short term memory the question was rhetorical and the answer was the former.

Overall it's been pretty productive since my last update. The documentary itself is being filmed (more on that later) and despite my nerves I finally feel like I understand all this rather than just following orders without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment